Landing Page Optimization
What is a landing page?
A landing page is a web page that allows marketers to get visitors to do what they want them to do. Whether it’s capturing a visitor’s information through a lead form, signing up for a free trial, or making a purchase. A good landing page will be targeted to a particular stream of traffic – say from an email campaign advertising a particular product or offer – and, because it is targeted, and because it has an interesting offer behind a lead capture form, you will convert a higher percentage of your website visitors into leads with which you can follow up.
Why are landing pages so important in marketing?
Companies are more successful in converting web traffic into leads or buying customers by utilizing effective landing pages in conjunction with their advertising, email, or social media campaigns, instead of sending these visitors to their main website home page. Companies can increase the likelihood of converting large streams of traffic derived from promotions that traffic by using a effectively designed and targeted landing page.
For example, say you have a Google AdWords PPC ad running for one of your best keywords. Do you want them going to your boring main website home page, where the visitor doesn’t know what to do? A well designed landing page will allow these visitors to what do you want them to do, quick and easy. Once you figure out what you want the visitor to do – filling out a form, signing up for a free trial, or making a purchase – this make it easier for them to do just that. Send them to a landing page that prompts them to complete that action. You’ll see the effectiveness of your online marketing improve dramatically.
According to Tim Ash, a leading conversion and optimization expert, there are seven deadly sins of landing page design.
Seven Deadly Sins of Landing Page Design
#1 -Unclear Call-to-action
What are you supposed to do on this page?
• Spend precious time deciding what to do
• Get confused and frustrated
#2 –Visual Distractions
Where am I supposed to look?
• Visual assault is extremely annoying
• “Gratuitous graphics” unrelated to product/service
• No clear separation of content and navigation
• Time wasted on looking at the wrong stuff
#3 –Too Much Text
Do you really expect me to read all of this?
• No much text in paragraph style
• No clear hierarchy or flow
• Inappropriate level of detail for a landing page
#4 -Lack of Upstream Continuity
Does your landing page keep the promise that your traffic sources make?
• Page title does not match user intent
• No access to the info promised
• Difficult to find ad-related content on page
#5 –Long Forms
Is the information you are asking for absolutely necessary to complete the current transaction?
• Unnecessary fields
• Info not needed until later
• Requires supporting info that is not available
#6 -Invisible Risk Reducers
Do I feel safe?
• Trust symbols are “below the fold”
• Trust symbols introduced too late in the process
#7 –Lack of Trust Indicators
Why should I trust you?
• Lack of 3rd-party endorsements
• No client logos
• No testimonials
Minds Over Media LLC